- This event has passed.
Exclusively for Veterans: Pole Walking for Balance and Maintaining Mobility
July 9 @ 10:00 am - 2:30 pm PDTFree
Veterans…learn to use poles for walking, balance and mobility, then practice your new skills in beautiful Point Reyes!
To register for this class, please use the following link to sign up on the Sierra Club Events page: Pole Walking for Veterans Registration Page
A Sierra Club Military Outdoors special grant is providing this training FREE for Veterans with added support from PRNSA.
When Pole Walking, you feel invigorated, taller and more confident! Join us to learn skills and techniques to help improve balance, endurance, spine function, walking gait and posture. Easy-to-learn techniques can help people navigate everyday obstacles and strengthen muscles that support your joints. Top quality poles and special balance tips provided. Learn which poles fit you best and will help you achieve your goals. Easy pace and gentle practice.
Here are more BENEFITS of Learning Optimal Use of POLES:
Achieve, maintain, even regain mobility
Reduce risk of falling
Use your upper body muscles to improve strength and help preserve your joints
Reduce stress on knees, hips and spine
Maintain & restore spine function; improve bone density
Poles are sporty (and FUN), so encourage compliance and use
Improve performance on a variety of terrain – expand your capabilities & horizons
Using poles encourages focus so that you can more easily achieve these many benefits
Enjoy the outdoors, connect with your buddies and get great exercise!
Who can benefit from learning these skills?
Walkers, and anyone with mild to moderate mobility issues/challenges benefit from learning these skills. Additionally, this class will benefit anyone preparing for or recovering from joint surgery as well as those with Parkinson’s, MS, peripheral neuropathy, arthritis, diabetes, etc.. The mobility class is NOT for hikers – hiking with poles is a different class on much more varied and challenging terrain.
The triple win of poles is that (1) you’re able to engage your whole body while walking and (2) you can connect with your buddies while (3) enjoying the beautiful outdoors. Consider taking this PoleWalking class and experience the profound feeling of freedom that comes with learning optimal pole use.
REGISTRATION REQUIRED, CLASS SIZE LIMITED. Because of the limited class size, please only reserve a spot if you are confident you will be able to attend.
Jayah Faye Paley is an ACE certified Trainer and Mobility Coach and the creator of award-winning training on how to use POLES for Hiking, Walking and Mobility. Since 1998, Jayah has taught seminars helping and inspiring people of diverse abilities to achieve their fitness goals and more fully enjoy the outdoors using poles. www.PolesForMobility.com
-We will be meeting at the Red Barn Classroom in Bear Valley, Point Reyes
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County and CDC guidelines for public health, we will require all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness.
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
During class all participants will be required to do the following
• Masks are optional outdoors for fully vaccinated individuals, but we recommend continuing to maintain a 4’-6’ distance from other participants or wearing a mask if gathered closely together
• Unvaccinated individuals are required to wear a face covering at all times
• Masks are optional indoors for vaccinated participants but strongly recommended
• Bring your own food and water
• We reserve the right to modify requirements as recommended by NPS regulations or local county health orders at the time of class
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your continuing cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.