Memorial Day 2013 | Veteran Owned Business Military Observance Announcement
Memorial Day, which is observed on the last Monday of May, commemorates the men and women who died while in the military service. In observance of the holiday, many people visit cemeteries and memorials, and volunteers often place American flags on each grave site at national cemeteries. A national moment of remembrance takes place at 3:00 p.m. local time.
Another tradition is to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff from dawn until noon local time. For many Americans, the central event is attending one of the thousands of parades held on Memorial Day in large and small cities all over the country. Most of these feature marching bands and an overall military theme with the National Guard and other servicemen participating along with veterans and military vehicles from various wars.
The National Memorial Day Concert takes place on the west lawn of the United States Capitol at 8PM EST. Music is performed and respect is paid to the men and women who gave their lives for their country. This years performers and hosts include:
- Gary Sinise (Lt. Dan Taylor in the Oscar-winning film Forrest Gump)
- Joe Mantegna (FBI Special Agent David Rossi in the CBS drama Criminal Minds)
- General Colin L. Powell, USA (Ret.) (65th U.S. Secretary of State)
- Maestro Jack Everly (Music Director of the National Memorial Day Concert)
- The National Symphony Orchestra (John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts)
- Military District of Washington (Premier Service Bands and Service Honor Guards)
- U.S. Army Herald Trumpets (Official fanfare ensemble for the President of the United States)
- The U.S. Army Chorus (Vocal counterpart of The U.S. Army Band)
- The Soldiers’ Chorus of The United States Army Field Band (Vocal complement of the United States Army Field Band)
- U.S. Navy Band Sea Chanters (Official chorus of the United States Navy)
- U.S. Air Force Singing Sergeants (Official chorus of the United States Air Force)
Rest on embalmed and sainted dead!
Dear as the blood ye gave;
No impious footstep shall here tread
The herbage of your grave;
Nor shall your glory be forgot
While fame her records keeps,
Or Honor points the hallowed spot
Where Valor proudly sleeps.
This is a public service announcement (PSA) brought to you by Veteran Owned Business. Veteran Owned Business is in no way affiliated with the above organization(s). We do not in any way endorse the above business/organization or guarantee the above offer. VeteranOwnedBusiness.com and the Veteran Owned Business Directory are simply providing information we feel is of interest to veterans, active duty military, reservists, service If your business is (or you know of another business) owned by a veteran (VOB), active duty military, reservist or service disabled veteran (SDVOSB) of the United States, Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard or National Guard, please be sure to visit the VeteranOwnedBusiness.com sign up page to get your The objective of our FREE Veteran Owned Business Directory is to