National Military Appreciation Month | May 2021
National Military Appreciation Month (NMAM), as designated by Congress, provides a period encompassing both the history and recognition of our armed services with an in-depth look at the diversity of its individuals and achievements. It allows Americans to educate each generation on the historical impact of our military through the participation of the community with those who serve encouraging patriotism and love for America. This month gives the nation a time and place on which to focus and draw attention to our many expressions of appreciation and recognition of our armed services via numerous venues and also to recall and learn about our vast American history.
National Military Appreciation Month (May – entire month as well as Month of the Military Caregiver) includes Loyalty Day/Silver Star Service Banner Day (May 1st), Public Service Recognition Week (May 2nd-8th – first full week in May), V-E Day (May 8th), Military Spouse Appreciation Day (May 7th – Friday before Mother’s Day/2nd Sunday in May), Armed Forces Week (May 8th-15th – 2nd Saturday through 3rd Sunday in May), Armed Forces Day (May 15th – 3rd Saturday in May), National Maritime Day (May 22nd), and Memorial Day (May 31st – last Monday in May). This very important month honors, remembers, recognizes and appreciates all military personnel; those men and women who have served throughout our history and all who now serve in uniform and their families as well as those Americans who have given their lives in defense of our freedoms we all enjoy today.
It recognizes those on active duty in all branches of the services, the National Guard and Reserves, plus retirees, veterans, and all of their families – well over 90 million Americans and more than 230 years of our nation’s history. Let us celebrate them just as we celebrate the other important entities that make up this wonderful country of ours.
How to participate:
- Donate to the Armed Forces Children’s Education Fund
- Send cards and letters of appreciation to A Million Thanks
- View and support over 35,000 businesses proudly owned by military veterans and active duty military.
- Get involved with the USO (Make a Difference to Troops and Their Families)
- Make a donation to The Fisher House and support families whose loved ones are being treated at military and VA hospitals. (Especially if you have unused frequent flyer miles or an unwanted vehicle)
- Donate to The Wounded Warrior Project and support the thousands of wounded warriors and their families as they return home!
- Support the American Red Cross Armed Forces Emergency Services.
- Volunteer or visit your local VA Hospital to honor veterans from past conflicts.
- Support your troops and lift their spirits by sending them something from the Army & Air Force Exchange Service.
- Help get the word out to Veteran Business Owners to make sure he/she signs up to get his/her free VOB Directory business profile
- Get your community on board – tell them about National Military Appreciation Month and all the Military observances during the month of May.
If your business is (or you know of another business) owned by a veteran (VOB), active duty military, reservist or military spouse of the United States, Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard or National Guard, please be sure to visit the sign up page to get your membership and business’ profile.
The objective of our FREE Veteran Owned Business Directory is to continue to offer a growing list of products and services that are unique in the fact that they are all owned by, sold by and/or serviced by past and present military members!
Be sure to check out our new national and state Veteran Owned Business Certification and Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business (SDVOSB) section or our VOB/SDVOSB Certifications by State.