Disaster Assistance Resources For Veterans

Hurricane Katrina Damage

Hurricane Katrina caused catastrophic damage over 90 thousand square miles across Louisiana with an estimated $75 billion dollars in damage. The total economic impact to the Gulf Coast was estimated at over $150 billion. 80% of New Orleans, LA, was underwater with some areas more than 20 feet deep. Photo courtesy of USDA.


After a disaster, if you’re a Veteran, you can find help and support through the VA and other resources on this page.

Veterans Crisis Line

If you are a Veteran in crisis – or you’re concerned about one – free, confidential support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The Veterans Crisis Line is available by phone, text, or chat:

  • Call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1.
  • Send a text to 838255.
  • Chat online.
  • Support for deaf and hard of hearing: Call 1-800-799-4889.

Local Resources

The VA may place mobile support vehicles in your area to offer easy access to the services we provide. We may also stage Public Contact Teams at local shelters or in Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs).

These resources can help all who are eligible with the following:

  • Identifying Veteran status.
  • Evaluating available benefits (including medical, prescription, and other benefits).
  • Assisting with housing case management.

You can also visit any VA facility for help.

Hurricane Katrina Flooding

U.S. Air Force search and rescue personnel witness a house adrift off the coast of northeastern Japan, March 14. The HH-60G helicopter crew surveyed the damage stricken area as part of Japan’s earthquake and tsunami recovery effort. (U.S. Air Force photo/ Airman 1st Class Katrina R. Menchaca)

Veterans Health Administration (VHA)

To speak with the VHA about any of the resources in this section, please call:

  • 1-877-222-VETS (8387)

Patient Care Services – Medical Equipment Support
If you had specialized medical items lost or destroyed because of a disaster, contact your Primary Care Service Team for support.

Guide and Service Dogs
For expenses incurred for your service dog as part of a disaster, contact your Sensory Aids representative for help.

Spinal Cord Injuries and Disorders – VA Outreach Program
If you or a Veteran you care for has a spinal cord or traumatic brain injury, is homebound, and needs assistance, someone from the VA should contact you.

Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA)

To learn more about the resources in this section, please call the numbers provided below. Or to speak with the VBA for all other questions, call:

  • 1-844-698-2311.

VA Home Loans – After a Disaster
If you need help making your mortgage payment after a disaster, the VA can help. We can do the following for you:

  • Ask loan holders to put a 90-day freeze on foreclosure.
  • Encourage holders to waive late charges.

The VA may also be able to work with your servicers or loan holder to apply pre-payments already made to your upcoming payment.

Education and Training – GI Bill Beneficiaries
If schools close temporarily due to a disaster, VA will continue payments for a certified period of enrollment. This period extends through the end of the term or up to 4 weeks (28 calendar days) from the date of the closure, whichever is earlier.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)
If you are a displaced Veteran and receive employment services from the VA, you may qualify for two additional months of Employee Adjustment Allowance (EAA).

Housing Assistance for Veterans

If you’re eligible, you may have housing options through the VA and other joint programs. These options may include re-housing and rental assistance.

Caregiver Support

If you are the caregiver of a Veteran, contact us about our Caregiver Support Program. The program offers training, resources, and tools to help you succeed.

Adapted Housing

Hurricane Michae

Air Force Tech Sgt. Ariel VanWinkle with the 125th Medical Detachment walks through a Mexico Beach neighborhood in search of residents in need of medical attention. She is a member of the Florida National Guard’s CBRNE Enhanced Response Force Package that are actively performing search and rescue operations in Gulf County following Hurricane Michael. (Photo by Staff Sgt. Carmen Fleischmann)

If you have certain permanent and total service-connected disabilities, you may qualify for a VA grant. These grants can help you buy or build an adapted home or modify an existing home to accommodate a disability.

Automobile Adaptive Equipment (AAE)

If you had a previously adapted automobile destroyed because of a disaster, you may qualify for assistance. You insurance must not provide coverage for the damage.

eBenefits – Update Contact and Direct Deposit Information After a Disaster
After a disaster, the VA can assist with your VA pension or Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) payments. You can do any of the following to keep your payments on schedule:

  • Update your physical and mailing address.
  • Change your contact information.
  • Set up or make corrections to your pension or compensation direct deposit.

You can also visit your local VA Regional Benefits Office for help.

Debt Management Center

After a disaster, if you have questions about repayment, offsets, hardships, and waivers for debt owed to VA, contact the Debt Management Center.

Additional Resources for Veterans

In this section, you’ll find other resources for Veterans, their families, or their caregivers. Each one helps expand the path to VA benefits and services.

Women Veterans Call Center (WVCC)
Call or text 1-855-829-6636.

If you’re a woman Veteran, or their family or caregiver, we provide information about VA services and resources. The call is free and you can call as often as you like: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. ET; Saturdays, 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. ET.

Homeless Veterans
1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838)


USAID DART member with Fairfax, VA USAR and canine search a collapsed structure.

Explore the website to learn about and share information on VA programs for Veterans who are homeless.

Veteran Service Organizations (VSOs) Directory (PDF, 1 MB)
If you want to find contacts for VA-approved VSOs and VA state directors, this directory can help.

National Archives for Veterans Records
If you need copies of your military service records, you can request them from the National Archives online, by mail, fax, or through eBenefits.

Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents, and Survivors
The VA benefits book offers a brief overview of common VA benefits and services. It is available online and in print for download.

Contact Us

To contact the VA with questions or for information, you can use either of the following to reach us:

You may also like...